SEN information report

Please find our response to some commonly asked questions about pupils with special educational needs:


Who are the best people to talk to at our school about my child’s difficulties with learning, special educational needs or disability?

  • Talk to your child’s classteacher about your concerns.
  • It is likely that the classteacher will have discussed your concerns with Anna Freeland, the school SENCo. You may wish to arrange a meeting with the SENCo.
  • If you continue to have concerns arrange to discuss these with Mark Hartley, the Head teacher.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning, special educational needs or disability?

  • Your child’s class teacher may initially speak to you at the beginning or the end of a normal school day and arrange a further time to discuss the concerns.
  • The class teacher may also talk to you about any issues at a parent/teacher consultation meeting.
  • The SENCo may contact you and arrange a meeting to discuss your child’s difficulties with learning and any possible support strategies the school might be considering.

How will the school consider my views and those of my child with regard to her/his difficulties with learning, special educational needs or disabilities?

  • At Barnes Primary School we believe it is very important for parents/carers to be involved in all areas of their child’s learning and we actively encourage discussions. We believe, whenever appropriate, that it is essential to understand your child’s views on any difficulties they may experience with their learning.
  • You will be able to share your views and discuss your child’s progress at regular meetings with the classteacher.
  • If your child has an identified special educational need you will be invited to a termly meeting with the classteacher and SENCo to discuss current progress, support strategies being used and expected outcomes.
  • If your child has a Statement of special educational need or an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP) you and your child will be able to share your views at an Annual Review meeting.

How does Barnes Primary School ensure the teaching staff are appropriately trained to support my child’s special educational needs and/or disability?

  • At Barnes Primary School we believe that your child’s learning needs will first be met through the high quality teaching delivered by her/his classteacher.
  • We regularly review the school’s continuing professional development (CPD) schedule for all teaching and support staff to ensure there is the appropriate expertise to support children with special educational needs.
  • Teachers attend CPD sessions every week, as do support staff. These are closely tailored to the identified needs within the school as outlined on the annual School Improvement Plan.
  • The school is able to access training programmes from different organisations including the Kingston and Richmond Training team based in Twickenham.
  • Specific, customised individual training can also be arranged when necessary.


How will the curriculum and the school environment be matched to my child’s needs?

  • At Barnes Primary School we believe that your child’s learning needs will first be met through the high quality teaching delivered by her/his classteacher.
  • We carefully plan our curriculum to match the age, ability and needs of all children.
  • The classteacher will adapt lesson planning and teaching to match your child’s special educational needs and/or disability.
  • It may be appropriate to adopt different strategies or resources and adapt outcomes to meet your child’s learning needs.
  • Additional specialist advice is sought when appropriate and, when necessary, accessibility aids and technology may be used to support your child’s learning.
  • We regularly reviews its Accessibility Plan to ensure that all children have the fullest access to the curriculum and the school site as possible.

What types of support may be suitable and available for my child?

This really depends upon the nature of your child’s needs and difficulties with learning. Our education provision will match the needs of the four broad areas of need as defined in the SEN Code of Practice 2014;

  • Communication and interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, emotional and mental health
  • Sensory and/or physical needs

At Barnes Primary School we have a 3 tiered approach to supporting a child’s learning.

Universal this is the quality first teaching your child will receive from her/his class teacher and may include some very minor adaptations to match learning needs.

Targeted– it may be appropriate to consider making additional short term special educational provision to remove or reduce any obstacles to your child’s learning. This takes the form of a graduated four part approach of a) assessing your child’s needs, b) planning the most effective and appropriate intervention, c) providing this intervention and d) reviewing the impact on your child’s progress towards individual learning outcomes.

Specialist – it may be necessary to seek specialist advice and regular long-term support from a specialist professional outside the school in order to plan for the best possible learning outcomes for your child. This may include educational psychology, speech and language therapy, occupational therapy or sensory advisory teachers. In the spirit of equity the school will always prioritise referrals to these services. However, for a very small number of pupils access to these specialists may be through a Statement of SEN or an EHC Plan.

  • Specific targeted one to one or small group interventions may be run outside the classroom, in withdrawal groups. These will be time limited to minimise disruption to the regular curriculum. You will be kept informed of your child’s progress towards their specific learning outcomes.

The current interventions provided at Barnes Primary School include:

Daily 1-1 reading support

Small group withdrawal support (maximum of 5 pupils): English or maths

Withdrawal groups with the SENCo (maximum of 5 pupils): English or maths

Small group maths supportBooster classes after school (maximum of 5 pupils): English or maths

Support with emotional/social problems (1-1) with the school’s learning mentor

Social skills group work (maximum of 6 pupils) to develop greater resilience, confidence and self- efficacy

Speech and Language therapy input

Occupational therapy input.

Arts Week 4

How will you support my child to reach his/her learning outcomes?

  • The classteacher and other staff working with your child ensure that your child receives appropriate teaching and support in order to reach their goals. The learning plan, strategies and progress will be reviewed termly.
  • External agencies and specialists may also review your child’s progress and assist us to adapt our planning accordingly.

What is an Education Health and Care Plan and who can request one for one for my child?

The purpose of an EHC Plan is to make special education provision to meet the special educational needs of a child or young person, to secure improved outcomes for him/her across education, health and social care and, as he/her gets older, prepare for adulthood. An EHC Plan will contain;

  • the views and aspirations of you and your child,
  • a full description of his/her special educational needs and any health and social care needs,
  • clear outcomes for your child’s progress,
  • the specific provision required and how education, health and social care will work together to meet your child’s needs and support the achievement of the agreed outcomes
  • You and/or the school (usually the SENCo or Headteacher) can request that the Local Authority conduct an assessment of your child’s needs. This may lead to an EHC Plan.

How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • There may be suggested strategies or activities for you to do at home to support your child’s learning.
  • We sometimes run parent/carer workshops in school to help you understand the strategies used in school. In addition, we may be able to offer you individual training in specific support strategies relevant to your child.
  • The SENCo may also support you with strategies, resources and ideas for supporting your child’s learning at home.
  • You may have an opportunity to meet with other professionals involved in supporting your child.

How is support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels of support in school?

  • Barnes Primary School receives funding from the Local Authority. These funds include an allocation of money to support the learning of children with SEN and/or disabilities.
  • The Headteacher, in consultation with school governors, decides the budget for SEN provision on the basis of: the needs of the children in the school, the amount of money available in any school year and the amount of money needed to run other aspects of the school’s provision.
  • The Headteacher and the SENCo discuss the effectiveness of the school’s current interventions and provisions and prioritise an action plan, which may include additional or alternative interventions, staff training and equipment needs.
  • This process is reviewed regularly to ensure the best possible intervention is provided to those children who require additional support to learn.

February 2010 045

 How will the school know that the support has made a difference to my child’s learning and how can I and my child be included in this review process?

  • Your child’s progress will be assessed both in terms of his/her regular learning within the class and with regard to specific intervention programmes.
  • The impact of the support given is carefully measured to ensure that the learning outcomes have been achieved and if not, what adaptations are necessary. It may be decided that a further period of support would be beneficial for your child.
  • You and your child will be kept informed and encouraged to be actively involved at all stages of this process.

What support will there be for my child’s happiness and well being at Barnes Primary School?

  • At Barnes Primary School we believe that the happiness and well being of all our pupils is paramount. All members of staff take this aspect of school life very seriously.
  • You can be confident that in particular your child’s classteacher, the support staff, Learning Mentor and the SENCo are available to provide support to match your child’s needs.
  • You should feel free to contact your child’s classteacher if you have any concerns.

How is my child included in all the same activities as his/her peers at school?

  • Barnes Primary School is an inclusive school and committed to providing equal opportunities for all children.
  • Your child may need to be involved in some slightly different activities to his/her peers to enable him/her to catch up and make faster progress. At all times when we make decisions regarding additional support (such as pupils being withdrawn from class for short, defined time periods), we will exercise sensitivity and avoid any kind of stigmatisation.
  • School clubs, educational visits and residential trips are available to all children.

Whenever necessary the school will make reasonable adjustments to ensure that children with SEN and/or disabilities are included in all activities.

How will Barnes Primary School support my child in transition stages?

  • We liaise closely with the school or nursery your child is transferring from. We are able to discuss with the relevant teachers any individual needs and how best to support your child in school.
  • Whilst at Barnes Primary School we take care to ensure that during any transition points (joining the school, moving to an new class and a new teacher at the end of each year, moving to a new site, transferring to secondary school) all staff are aware of individual pupils needs, learning progress and best support strategies.
  • Barnes Primary School makes arrangements to ensure there is a smooth transition when your child transfers to his/her secondary school of choice. Please contact us for further details.
  • If your child has an EHC Plan, we arrange to review it in sufficient time prior to him/her moving between key phases of education. You will be kept informed of these arrangements and asked to attend the reviews.
  • From Year 9 all EHC Plan reviews will have a focus on preparing for adulthood, including employment, independent living and participation in society.

February 2010 007

Who can I contact if I have a complaint about the SEN provision made for my child?

  • Initially speak with your child’s teacher and/or the SENCo. Hopefully they will be able to address your concerns.
  • If you are not satisfied with their response, or still have significant concerns please contact the Head teacher.

If I have any other questions about my child at Barnes Primary School, who can I ask?

At our school we are very happy to speak to you about any aspects of your child’s education. It is best to speak to one of the following in this order;

  • The classteacher
  • The SENCo
  • The Deputy Headteacher, or Headteacher.