What is the PTFA and what does it do?
The Parents, Teachers and Friends Association – the PTFA – is a long standing home-school association. It is made up of parents whose children attend the school and others who would like to support us. All parents and carers automatically join this body when their child joins the school.
The organisation has two principal aims:
- to raise additional funds for the school, to supplement the school budget and provide more for the children
- to strengthen the school community by organising events where all members of the community can meet and socialise.
All money raised goes directly towards providing resources for the children. It helps us to finance immediate and longer-term goals. We are most grateful for the support of the Friends and hope that their interest and generosity will continue in the future. The money this body raise makes a significant difference to the provision the children receive.
The PTFA doesn’t have a chairperson; a team of parents co-ordinate events. Regular meetings are held which all members of the school community are welcome to attend. Each class has a parent representative who assists in the organisation of termly events. Our principal fundraising events are:
- Autumn Term – The Barn Dance; The Christmas Fair
- Spring Term – Quiz Night and Auction
- Summer Term – Midsummer Barbecue
- Sometimes we have new, special events
For example the PTFA have contributed towards
- a major redevelopment of the reception outdoor learning area and the Key Stage 1 playground
- the creation of a new Art Studio
- subsidised swimming for children from families in more challenging financial circumstances
- developing the school’s ICT infrastructure and ensuring that children benefit from the opportunities modern technology offers to enhance children’s learning
- extending the school’s range of reading material so that children at Barnes have the chance to read the very best books
How can you get involved?
Every first Thursday of the month the PTFA hold an open meeting at 9.05am in the Key Stage 1 staffroom to share fundraising ideas and discuss the general organisation of fundraising events taking place throughout the year. Everyone is welcome to come. If you are unable to attend the PTFA can be contacted via your class representative, or via the school office or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is a Class Representative?
A class representative is a parent (or parents) who volunteer to help with the coordination of social and fundraising events and run cake stalls to raise money exclusively for their year group. If you are unsure of who your class rep is, just ask you class teacher.
The continued success of the PTFA depends on the support of the parents, so please come along to the meetings: not only will you be helping to make a real difference to your children’s education, but it is also a good opportunity to get to know the school and other parents.
Making a Donation to the PTFA
If you would like to make a regular donation or a one off payment, please click on the link NEW Standing Order & Gift Aid Form 2015.
Proud sponsors of Barnes Primary School.